Wisdom Tooth Surgery
What is wisdom tooth surgery?
Wisdom tooth surgery is a dental procedure that involves removing one or more wisdom teeth from your mouth. Wisdom teeth are the last set of molars that usually erupt between the ages of 17 and 25. However, some people may not have enough space in their jaws to accommodate these teeth, causing them to become impacted or trapped under the gums or bone. This can lead to various problems, such as:
- Pain and swelling in the jaw or gums
- Infection or abscess in the mouth or throat
- Damage or decay to the adjacent teeth or bone
- Cysts or tumors in the jaw
- Crowding or misalignment of the other teeth
Wisdom tooth surgery can help you prevent or treat these problems by removing the problematic wisdom teeth and allowing your mouth to heal.
How is wisdom tooth surgery done?
The type and complexity of wisdom tooth surgery depend on the position and condition of your wisdom teeth. There are two main types of wisdom tooth surgery: simple and surgical.
A simple extraction is done when the wisdom tooth is fully erupted and visible above the gum line. The dentist will use a local anesthetic to numb the area around the tooth. Then, the dentist will use a tool called an elevator to loosen the tooth from its socket. Finally, the dentist will use a pair of forceps to grasp and pull out the tooth.
A surgical extraction is done when the wisdom tooth is partially or fully impacted under the gum line or bone. This type of extraction requires an oral surgeon and may involve general, intravenous, or local anesthesia. The surgeon will make a small incision in the gum to expose the tooth. Then, the surgeon will use a drill or other instruments to remove some bone around the tooth or cut the tooth into pieces. Finally, the surgeon will extract the tooth and stitch up the wound.
What are the benefits of wisdom tooth surgery?
Wisdom tooth surgery can offer several benefits for your oral health and well-being, such as:
- Relieving pain and discomfort caused by an impacted or infected wisdom tooth.
- Eliminating harmful bacteria and infection that can damage your teeth and gums.
- Improving your appearance and confidence by preventing crowding or misalignment of your teeth.
- Enhancing your overall health by preventing bacteria from spreading to other parts of your body through your bloodstream.
- Preparing your mouth for other dental procedures that can restore your smile and function.
What are the risks of wisdom tooth surgery?
Wisdom tooth surgery is generally safe and effective, but it may involve some risks and complications, such as:
- Bleeding, swelling, bruising, or pain at the extraction site.
- Dry socket, which is a condition where the blood clot in the socket dislodges or dissolves, exposing the bone and nerves.
- Infection, which can occur if bacteria enter the wound or spread from the mouth to other parts of the body.
- Nerve damage, which can cause numbness, tingling, or pain in the lips, chin, tongue, or teeth.
- Sinus problems, which can occur if the extraction affects the sinus cavity near the upper teeth.
- Damage to nearby teeth, gums, bones, or blood vessels.
How to prepare for wisdom tooth surgery?
Before scheduling a wisdom tooth surgery, you will have a consultation with your dentist or oral surgeon. They will examine your mouth and take X-rays or 3-D scans to assess the position and condition of your wisdom teeth. They will also ask you about your medical history and any medications, supplements, or vitamins you are taking. Be sure to tell them if you have any allergies, chronic diseases, bleeding disorders, or artificial joints. Based on this information, they will recommend the best type of extraction and anesthesia for you.
You may also need to follow some instructions before your procedure, such as:
- Stop taking blood thinners or anti-inflammatory drugs a few days before your surgery.
- Avoid smoking or drinking alcohol at least 24 hours before your surgery.
- Do not eat or drink anything for six to eight hours before your surgery if you are having general or intravenous anesthesia.
- Arrange for someone to drive you home after your surgery if you are having sedation.
What to expect after wisdom tooth surgery?
After your wisdom tooth surgery, you will receive some aftercare instructions from your dentist or oral surgeon. You may also get some prescriptions for painkillers and antibiotics to help you manage these symptoms. You will also need to follow some instructions on how to care for your extraction site and avoid infection. Some tips for aftercare include:
- Apply an ice pack to your cheek for 10 minutes at a time to reduce swelling and bruising.
- Bite on a gauze pad for 30 minutes to stop bleeding and form a blood clot in the socket.
- Do not rinse, spit, suck, or drink through a straw for 24 hours after your surgery to avoid dislodging the blood clot.
- Eat soft foods and avoid hot, spicy, crunchy, or sticky foods for a few days after your surgery.
- Brush your teeth gently but avoid touching the extraction site with your toothbrush or tongue.
- Rinse your mouth with warm salt water after 24 hours to keep the area clean and prevent infection.
- Do not smoke or drink alcohol for at least 72 hours after your surgery to promote healing and prevent dry socket.
- Rest and avoid strenuous activities for a few days after your surgery to prevent bleeding and swelling.
How much does wisdom tooth surgery cost at Polygems Dental Clinic?
The cost of wisdom tooth surgery at Polygems Dental Clinic depends on several factors, such as:
- The type and complexity of the extraction.
- The type and amount of anesthesia or sedation used.
- The number and location of teeth to be extracted.
- Your insurance coverage and co-payment.
We offer affordable and transparent pricing for our wisdom tooth surgery services. We accept most insurance plans and offer flexible payment options. We also provide free consultations and estimates for our services.
Why choose Polygems Dental Clinic for wisdom tooth surgery?
Polygems Dental Clinic is a trusted and reputable dental clinic in Yishun, Fernvale, Seletar, or Seng Kang that has been serving the community for over 20 years. Here are some reasons why you should choose us for your wisdom tooth surgery:
- We have a team of experienced and qualified dentists and oral surgeons who are passionate about providing the best care for our patients. They are trained in the latest techniques and technologies in wisdom tooth surgery and are committed to continuing education and professional development.
- We have a modern and comfortable facility that is equipped with state-of-the-art equipment and instruments. We use high-quality materials and advanced tools to ensure accuracy, efficiency, and safety in our procedures.
- We have a friendly and caring staff who are dedicated to making your visit as pleasant and stress-free as possible. They will greet you warmly, answer your questions, explain your options, and guide you through every step of your procedure.
- We care about your smile and your satisfaction. That’s why we strive to deliver the best wisdom tooth surgery services in Yishun, Fernvale, Seletar, or Seng Kang. Contact us today to schedule an appointment or to learn more about our services. We look forward to seeing you soon! 😊