Why Checkups Are Essential for Your Oral Health
You may think that brushing and flossing your teeth every day is enough to keep your oral health in good shape. However, you may be missing some important signs and symptoms that only a dentist can detect. That’s why regular dental checkups are essential for your oral health. Here are some reasons why you should visit your dentist at least twice a year:
- To prevent and detect oral health problems. During a dental checkup, your dentist will examine your teeth, gums, tongue, and mouth for any signs of decay, infection, inflammation, or disease. They will also take X-rays to see the condition of your bones and roots. By doing so, they can prevent any problems from getting worse or spreading to other parts of your body. They can also treat any problems early and effectively, saving you time, money, and pain in the long run1.
- To improve your overall health. Your oral health is connected to your overall health. Poor oral hygiene can lead to serious conditions such as diabetes, heart disease, stroke, and cancer2. On the other hand, good oral hygiene can boost your immune system, lower your blood pressure, and reduce your risk of infections3. By visiting your dentist regularly, you can improve your oral health and your overall well-being.
- To promote healthy habits. Your dentist can give you advice on how to improve your oral hygiene routine and habits. They can teach you the proper way to brush and floss your teeth, as well as recommend the best products and tools for your needs. They can also help you quit smoking, limit alcohol consumption, and eat a balanced diet that supports your oral health4.
- To diagnose systemic diseases. Sometimes, your mouth can reveal clues about your general health that you may not notice otherwise. For example, dry mouth can indicate diabetes, bad breath can indicate kidney problems, and bleeding gums can indicate leukemia5. Your dentist can spot these signs and refer you to a medical doctor for further diagnosis and treatment.
- To maintain a beautiful smile. Your smile is one of the first things that people notice about you. It can affect your confidence, self-esteem, and social interactions. By visiting your dentist regularly, you can keep your smile bright and attractive. Your dentist can remove stains, plaque, and tartar from your teeth, as well as polish and whiten them if needed. They can also fix any cosmetic issues such as chipped, crooked, or missing teeth with fillings, crowns, implants, or braces.
These are some of the reasons why dental checkups are essential for your oral health. If you want to schedule an appointment with one of our dentists at NTUC Health Denticare, please visit our website or call us at 6590 4400. We offer affordable and quality dental services at our clinics across Singapore. We look forward to helping you achieve a healthy and beautiful smile.